16 responses

  1. Janet Beatrice
    July 20, 2017

    It’s still not clear to me whether I need to also get a copyright through the U.S. copyright office. Could you clarify that? I understand that every work is automatically copyrighted but that people should go through traditional channels to ensure their work is protected. Would I get that same protection by going through Creative Commons? Or should I be doing both?


    • Janet Beatrice
      July 20, 2017

      Never mind, someone just explained to me that I still should go through the U.S. Copyright office.


      • Katie Lane
        July 21, 2017

        Glad you got some helpful guidance! Your source is right: registering your copyright with the US Copyright Office (copyright.gov) provides benefits and protection that a Creative Commons license can’t. Both are useful, but they do different jobs. You can think of the registration as a way of protecting your rights, and using a Creative Commons license as a way of giving others limited rights to use your work in a way you dictate.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

Back to top
mobile desktop